Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Jaywalking - What do you think?



What do you think? Leave comment at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vSAh4i9Rxk

Jaywalking in Rexburg.
The formidable and frequent act that affects Rexburg pedestrians and drivers alike. Although the pedestrians have the right of way, Drivers argue pedestrians are darting in front of traffic with no concern for the ton of steel barreling towards them. Pedestrians argue that drivers are careless and have no concern for the pedestrians crossing. Who is in the wrong? What do you think about this battle between the drivers and pedestrians? What needs to be done?

19 comments:

Mrs. Webb said...

I think cross walks are where they are for a reason, and should be used by pedestrians. It only takes a few minutes TOPS to go to the corner to cross the road.

Anonymous said...

I hate jaywalkers, they should all die, and they will, if they walk in front of my car!!!!!!! use the crosswalks!!

Anonymous said...

whoever the last commenter was should be ashamed of themselves. everyone has a right to live, why don't you just be patient and considerate?

Anonymous said...

Good subject, but use a tripod next time.

Robert said...

Nice work on the video! I am going to stick with what I said on the video, but add that if people 9drivers and pedestrians) would just be more considerate and stop thinking of only themselves, then this whole thing would even be an issue!

Anonymous said...

Pedestrians have the "right" of way, and with all rights come responsibility. We just have to make sure that we're paying attention and being responsible. And drivers need to do the same. Solved. :)

Anonymous said...

yea, the solution sounds easy, but how many people out there are really being considerate, especially when it comes to driving? There needs to be a way to ensure that cars are going to stop for pedestrians!

Anonymous said...

If you aren't looking across the road then you are not thinking. I am so tired of people acting the same at night as they do during the day. They act as if they have never driven before. I think a lot of the issues happen at night simply for the fact that drivers can't see.

Anonymous said...

Pedestrians take TOO MUCH advantage of the crosswalks here. They jump across the road without looking at cars or timing their crossing. It's so rude to those cars who are waiting in a long line, and then are expected to wait for one pedestrian to take their time crossing. There was one pedestrian I observed today who walked in front of a car who was in the process of turning left (note there was a long line of cars behind the left turning car) The car had to slam on the breaks while the person lazily crossed the street. So frustrating. If the distracted pedestrian would have waited for 2 seconds to allow the car to continue to turn the rest of the line of cars would have been able to go. Stop taking advantage of the sidewalks. It's ok pedestrians. Waiting 10 seconds won't hurt a bit, and it will make traffic run much smoother.

Ben said...

I am currently attending school at BYU Provo and it sounds like jaywalking is just as big of a problem up in Idaho as it is down here. While driving it is a pretty scary thing to see a pedestrian on the side of the road, crosswalk or not. You never know if they are going to try to dart across the street while they have the chance or continue walking to the nearest crosswalk.
I know that I have been on the other side of the fence as well and have probably scared some drivers while waiting at a crosswalk.
I agree with Carlee, pedestrians do have the right of way and the responsibility to not abuse that right.
Courtesy on both sides and love for each other solves all these problems :)

Anonymous said...

If we would just take a moment slow down during our daily routine then everyone would be more happy and considerate. We should be enjoying ourselves instead of rushing and rushing constantly, take time to stop or wave or just smile.

Brittany said...

I remember a long time ago when I was in school and there was a huge problem then. I think that Pedestrians are at fault. I dont care about the laws. Doesnt the The law state that they are to use the crosswalk? So why do we have to cater to them because they are breaking the law. I agree with most everyone about that it is not fair for a huge car to slam on brakes because a small person is illegally crossing the road putting more than just the pedestrians life in danger.

Bonnie and Tyler said...

jaywalking should be illegal no matter what. If you are a pedestrian and you are not in a crosswalk, then you are not obeying the Law, and you are free game.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a problem with pedestrians if they either use a crosswalk or look before crossing and crossing when it is clear if it is outside a crosswalk. However, many incompetent students like to just dart out in the street no matter who is coming. I often see them texting while crossing... who does that. In this case, who cares if they get hit, the world could use a lot less stupid people.

Lori Jane said...

does anyone else remember in Drivers Ed where they said you can't take the right of way? It has to be given to you, while pedestrians have right to it-they need to pay attention. I am a pedestrian (most of the time), but sometimes a driver. If you both pay attention to each other no one dies. Oh yeah and drivers probably slow before you get to the white line so we don't have to walk through your exhaust...

Unknown said...

I don't have a problem with Jay walkers if there are no cars coming. But otherwise cross walks should be used. If someone steps out in front of your car and you can't stop it would be horrible. That can happen in the winter when the roads are so slick. I never walk across the street even in a cross walk unless I'm sure the cars are going to stop. Pedestrians and drivers must be cautious.

The Hulbert Family said...

When I am driving and see someone walk out in front of me JAYWALKING I of course slow down but I honk as a reminder that they need to use a cross walk. You are a walker never know how well the driver can see especially in Rex burg. I wouldn't take a chance unless I looked both ways and a car was not even close.

I also think that cars should always stop at a cross walk if someone is there waiting to cross. However people should always look both ways too. like I said earlier sometimes you can not see well in the dark.

Anonymous said...

I would like to make the observation that all of the people who have been hit, injured or killed have been in the crosswalk, so statistically, isn't it safer to jaywalk than to use the crosswalk?

chiefmanyrabbitguteat said...

It probably is safer to jaywak, and here's why. When you jaywalk, you are aware that traffic will not stop for you, and you go only when it is safe. However, when people use the crosswalk, they assume that they are surrounded by a magic bubble, and so they just dart out without the same caution given outside the crosswalk.


Regardless of who has the right of way, it is the responsibility of the party most easily killed to care for his or her own safety.